They can be used as is in the production of weapons and construction of buildings, or further refined into Steel Bars.
Starting out, the production of iron plates must be operated by at least one worker, though through research, can eventually be turned into an automated process.
Uses of Iron Plates in Construction
- The Watchtower building
- Arrow Making Bench, Chain Armour Crafting Bench, Chainmail Sheet Fabrication Bench, Clothing Bench, Copper Alloy Bench, Cotton Auto-Loom, Crossbow Crafting Bench, Electrical Workbench, Fabric Loom (cotton), Fabric Loom (hemp), Heavy Armour Smithy, Hemp-Auto Loom, Item Furnace, Leather Armour Crafting Bench, Leather Tanning Bench, Medical Workbench, Plate Beating Station, Robotics Bench, Skeleton Limb Bench, Weapon Smith under "Crafting" building types
- Harpoon Turrets and Mounted Crossbows for "Defence"
- All types of Hydroponics, Water Tank and Well for "Farming"
- Automatic Grain Silo, Cooking Stove, Grain Silo, Grog Machine, Rum Still and Sake Still for "Cooking"
- Interior Wall: Metal, Metal Table, Prisoner Cage, Round table, Rusty Sink, Skeleton Repair Bed under "Interior" (buildings)
- Ceiling Fan Lamp, Ceiling Lamp, Electrical Torch Post, Light Post I and III, Searchlight, Spotlight under "Lights"
- Iron Refineries, Ore Drill types II and III, Steel Refineries, Stone Processors under "Mining"
- Battery Bank, Biofuel Distillery (all types), Corpse Furnace, Generators, Small Wind Generator and Wind Generators under "Power"
- Boltbox, Crossbow Locker, Medicrate, Metal Chest, Storage: Armour Plate, Storage: Building Materials, Storage: Chainmail, Storage: Copper, Storage: Copper Alloys, Storage: Crossbow Parts, Storage: Electricals, Storage: Fuel, Storage: Iron Plates, Storage: Leather, Storage: Ore, Storage: Robotics, Storage: Steel Bars, Storage: Stones under "Storage"
- All types of Research Benches
- All types of Locksmith Training Box, Thief Training Boxes, Training Dummy, Training Turret under "Training"
Other Uses of Iron Plates
- Arrow Making Bench - for making Bolts [Toothpicks], Bolts [Regulars], Hinge
- Copper Alloy Bench - for making Copper Alloy Plates
- Robotics Bench - for making Press, Motor and Hinge
- Steel Refinery - for making Steel Bars
- Weapon Smith - for making Weapons
Iron plates are extremely common loot in the Kenshi world, whether you're scavenging an Ancient Lab, Lost Armoury, or helping yourself to an unwary trader's stock. They can be acquired from merchants in most cities.